Avani Travel Diary - Victoria Falls, Zambia
Staying inside the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, within earshot of the mighty Victoria Falls means, among other things, being pleasantly jolted awake from your car nap, upon arrival, by a crowd of giraffes and zebras.
Such a fantastic arrival experience really set the tone for what lied ahead: a guided tour to the Victoria Falls; a game drive to the nearby national park for a chance to see antelopes, baboons, elephants, giraffes, hippos, warthogs, and even the elusive white rhinos; as well as a fun river safari to witness some wildlife doing their ‘last drink’ of the day.
But my absolute favourite activity, hands down, was the microlight flight over the Victoria Falls — a breath-taking adventure that I would recommend to everyone. If this is a bit too extreme for you, try the Avani Ultimate Dining Experience, which is set up on the edge of the Victoria Falls and offers the same dramatic views munis the surge of adrenaline.
I had the chance to try this unique gastronomic affair myself, and it was absolutely magical especially watching the sun dip below the horizon casting its golden rays over the majestic falls in slow motion. Needless to say, this will make for a fine romantic thing to do with a loved one.
For families or friends, doing a cultural Boma dinner will make for a fun endeavour as the night creeps in. For the early birds out there, try a ‘chirpy’ breakfast at the Avani Victoria Falls Resort’s bird sanctuary. For something more ‘hands-on’ yet still outdoorsy, consider casting a line at one of the resort’s ponds. Best of all? Enjoying the catch of the day served grilled for lunch.
Pre-travel guide for Zambia
- The Kwacha is the currency of Zambia. The US Dollar is also accepted.
Best time to visit Livingstone, Zambia
- Livingstone is great all year round. If you are looking to see the Victoria Falls in all its glory, the best time to visit is from May-August. For adventures on the Zambezi River such as white-water rafting and the Devil’s Pool, the best months are September-April.
How to get to Livingstone, Zambia
- Flight - the easiest way to get to Livingstone is by flying into Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport (IATA: LVI). British Airways and South African Airways fly between Livingstone and Johannesburg, while ProFlight Zambia connects Livingstone and other destinations in Zambia. You can also fly into Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe (VFA), Livingstone's sister city, on the Zimbabwe side of the border.
How to get around Livingstone
- The fastest way of getting around Livingstone is by taxi. They are easy to spot and you will see them all over the town (keep an eye out for the trademark purple ribbon.) Bear in mind that taxis are generally not metered and prices are negotiable.
- Ask the concierge at Avani Victoria Falls Resort to book you a car from Concepts Travel and Tours, their preferred transportation partner.
Helpful local words
- Mwauka bwanji – Good morning
- Mwachoma bwanji – Good afternoon
- Lobala ka kozo – Good night
- Muli bwanji – How are you?
- Nili Bwino – I’m fine
- Zikomo – Thank you
- Inde – Yes
- Iyayi – No
- U siyale/ Ni ta kubona (see you) – Goodbye
The best resort to stay in Livingstone
Built inside the Mosi-oa-Tunya National Park, Avani Victoria Falls Resort is located on the edge of the Zambezi River: a brisk 5-minute walk brings you to the Victoria Falls. The resort offers a contemporary vibe and essential comforts with various great dining options to choose from. The rooms are homey and spacious, with a balcony extension offering great views of the resort and the surrounding African bush.